One of the many little hobbies I’ve picked up over the years is mechanical keyboard building and programming. I was originally interested in programming Arduino microcontrollers, and was excited to see that people were using small arduinos to make keyboards that have all sorts of secret programmable features (and really nice buttons). Over the years I’ve put together a small but nice collection of mechanical keyboards in different shapes and sizes.
We’ve moved! I registered the domain https://www.ryanwcummings.com and will be hosting this blog there from now on, until I find something better to do with the site. Things to do with the new domain include: Setting up https (edit config.toml once github processes the certificate) - Done! Figuring out email hosting or forwarding Setting up a web server on the home server and moving off of github Hope the new address ups my street cred.
I wrote some elisp functions to speed up my blog posting! I realized that emacs plays well with shell scripts, and that every time I add images and deploy a page to the blog, I have to go through a long dance of resizing images, changing folders, pushing to github, etc. So I thought, why not define a function I can call right from my editor to handle all of it?
The PDF-tools emacs package is amazing for extending the usefulness of emacs for everyday tasks. PDF-tools is a very fast pdf reader with all the text navigation features Emacs offers, plus the ability to interface with other packages such as interleave for note-taking. However, pdf-tools is notoriously difficult to get going on a mac. Here, I’ll try to document what I did to get it running on my system - a process that involved some stumbling but was ultimately successful.
For a long time, I was using Emacs to manage academic resources and produce nice LaTeX pdf files. It was a little bit of trouble getting it going, and it was a pain to use it with attendings since they prefer to work off of word. I ended up uninstalling all the plugins I need to use with it, which I now regret. So this blog post will serve as a log while I try to reinstall the modules and get it all running again.
I ran into my first technical difficulty running this site today. I’m surprised that it stayed up so long, since I have no idea how to work with Github and pretty much copy-pasted the entire setup. This afternoon I thought I’d be clever and have Hugo clean out the output directory as it runs, to delete old posts that I’ve removed from Hugo. Unfortunately, that option also destroyed the hidden .
Hey everyone, I’m launching this blog to keep a better record of my life events, hobbies, tech setups, recipes, and anything else that comes to mind. It was a minor pain to set up, so I figure I’ll take a few minutes to make a record of how I got it going. Tools of the trade Before getting into any technical details of my setup, I thought I’d summarize the tools I’m using to write this blog.